Shawn tries out Local 463 in their new place. Mississippi begins tornado relief efforts in the Pine Belt - and you can help too.
- Save the date for Ridgeland Fine Arts Festival, April 1-2, 2017 at the Renaissance at Colony Park.
- Mississippi residents could be able to stay in their home and get their favorite wine shipped directly to them if legislation passes.
- December was strong for the Coast casinos and pushed 2016 revenues to their highest levels since 2008.
- The Mississippi List: 201 Places to Eat, Stay & Play in 2017
- Former Ole Miss quarterback Eli Manning has been named a finalist for the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award.
- New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees has been named to the 2017 NFC Pro Bowl squad.
- Bill Moss, an engineer who helped build Talladega Superspeedway in 1969, has died. He was 81.
- Billy Corgan made stops in several small Alabama towns recently. The Smashing Pumpkins frontman is traveling the country as part of his "30 Days" project, where he’s road tripping across America and documenting his journeys.
- Dave Matthews will perform at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater on May 3. Tickets go on sale Friday, Feb. 10 at 10 a.m. They'll cost $95 and $85. He'll also be in Nashville May 6-7 at Ascend Amphitheatre and in Alpharetta, Ga., on May 31 at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park.
- Do you know who else was in Alabama? Jimmy Buffett. In Mobile. He's saluting his Mobile roots in a documentary film about his early career. He is gathering shots and meeting with local musicians who were integral to the making of his first records. Sarah Delaney Buffett, a filmmaker and Jimmy Buffett's daughter, is among the list of names Buffett says is involved with the project.
- Speaking of which, the New Orleans Theatre Association announced that "Escape to Margaritaville'' will launch in New Orleans Oct. 20-28, 2017 to kick off the season at the Saenger Theatre.
- Radiohead has announced nine additional U.S. tour dates and New Orleans is in that number.
- New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu’s administration is seeking to crack down on pedestrians reveling outside. He wants all bars to be closed by 3 a.m. as part of new security measures.
- Both New Orleans and Memphis were recently named to the Top 5 Most Livable Cities to Build a Music Career.
The Poke Salad Podcast is brought to you every week from the beautiful Lakeshore Studios in Brandon, Mississippi. It is sponsored by no one at this time. If you're interested, let us know. We can be bribed very easily. Quinn Rossi is our editor. Sleepy LaBoeuf performed our theme song. To subscribe to the podcast, go to iTunes or Stitcher and search for Poke Salad. You can follow Shawn on Twitter. Kelly says don't follow her because she never posts anything, only lurks. Email us at email@example.com. Sign up for daily Poke Salad updates from the South here.
- Luke Bryan will sing the national anthem at the Super Bowl. Lady Gaga is halftime entertainment.
- Stephen Colbert got Billy Joel to tell his top 5 favorite Billy Joel songs, and they match mine pretty closely: “Vienna,” “And So It Goes,” “You May Be Right,” “She’s Right On Time” and last but not least, “Scenes from an Italian Restaurant.”
- Instant Pot is a calculated viral phenomenon. The Instant Pot is a product of a small Canadian company, founded by engineers. It has 25 employees, no traditional advertising to speak of, and an Amazon-centric sales strategy.
- Why do our recorded voices sound weird to us?