Poke Salad Podcast Show Notes:
- Southern Living recently named Jackson chef Jesse Houston's Saltine Oyster Bar in its 2016 list of the 25 best new restaurants in the South.
- John Newcomb, the nephew of Newk's Eatery owner Don Newcomb, made his own entry into the restaurant business this summer with the opening of Mississippi's first Freshii in Flowood.
- Congratulations to Mississippian Harrison Scott Key, Winner of the 2016 Thurber Prize!
- Oxford now has a new restaurant, St. Leo’s. The restaurant is owned and headed up by Oxford local, Emily Blount.
- Dwayne Ingraham was named Sweetest Chef of the South. Ingraham won Best Overall Dessert with his Funky Monkey Banana Pudding: Dulce de Leche, Banana Pudding, Sweetened Whipped Cream, topped with a Coffee Macaron.
- The moment we’ve been waiting for…Lifetime is turning Britney Spears’ life into an unauthorized made-for-TV movie.
- HBO hires writer for miniseries about Emmett Till.
- Johnny Cash may have come from Arkansas, but for years his heart was in Tennessee. He performed and recorded in Nashville and Memphis, and he made his home on a little ranch in Bon Aqua. Now, after years of lying empty, the country star’s old home is open to the public as the Storytellers Museum.
- Stanley “Buckwheat” Dural Jr., the accordionist, organist, singer and songwriter who, as Buckwheat Zydeco, championed traditional southwest Louisiana Creole dance music on the world stage, died recently of lung cancer at Our Lady of Lourdes Regional Medical Center in Lafayette. He was 68.
- The very first opera in what would become the United States as we know it happened in New Orleans when George Washington was president. Now it's back...on the street!
- Congratulations to 16-year-old Eliana de Las Casas. She was the winner of the Food Network’s ‘Chopped’ Teen Tournament.
- New Orleans novelist Gideon Hodge made national news last week when he opted to run back into his burning home to rescue a laptop. The reason: His book was on there, and he hadn't backed it up.
- Wrestler-turned-actor Dwayne Johnson topped a Forbes magazine list of the world’s highest paid actors with an estimated 2016 payday of $64.5 million.
- Educated Americans have not turned their backs on marriage. The well-documented “marriage gap” is mostly due to a decline in marriage rates among the less educated.
- For two weeks next May, M.B.A. students at Stanford University will be taking tips in personal branding from Tyra Banks.
- Entrepreneurs recently developed a pillow, Zeeq, that plays music while you sleep. You can program it with your smartphone, and it comes equipped with a host of special features—including data analysis of your “snore score.”
- If you were going to write a letter to your 18-year-old self, what would you say? Victoria Beckham did just that in Vogue magazine.
- Mardi Gras to run for 49 straight nights at Universal Orlando.
- The End of an Era: Blackberry no longer being made.