Instead of throwing out old greeting cards, send them to St. Jude's Ranch for Children, an organization that cares for children who have been neglected, abandoned or abused. They have been collecting the cards for more than 30 years. The kids reattach the front of the card to a new card that is then sold in retail establishments to benefit the home. The kids learn work skills and are paid a salary for their efforts.
Here are some important points to remember, though, according to Hints from Heloise:
- They accept cards yearround.
- They need all types of greeting cards (thank-you cards, birthday cards, holiday cards, all-occasion cards, Easter cards, etc.)
- Only the front of a card is used. Please make sure there is no writing on the card.
- Hallmark, Disney, and American Greetings cards cannot be accepted.
- Sizes of 5 inches by 7 inches and smaller are best.
Mail the card fronts to St. Jude Ranch for Children, Recycled Card Program, 100 St. Jude's St., Boulder City, Nev. 89005. You can also reach them at 1-877-977-SJRC.